Saturday, March 17, 2007

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
Eleanor Roosevelt

I came across this quote today and didn't want to deprive it of you :)

Furthermore, I started reading a book today. It's called "I know why the caged bird sings" and is written by Maya Angelou. I've only read twenty pages so far, but I quite like her writing style. The book is an autobiographical novel telling the story of a small black girl living in the racist south. Maya and her brother live with their grandmother "Momma" and are often faced with prejudices.






The title of the book derives from a beautiful poem:

"I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore,
When he beats his bars and would be free;
It is not a carol of joy or glee,
But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,
But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings -
I know why the caged bird sings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good choice! I like the name of the author ;)

betty030187 said...

This poem is really beautiful!! Looking at your blog, I can see that you like to go out and that you are really enjoying your life. There´s only one thing I can say about that: Why not?
Have a nice weekend, pink powerranger!!!