Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A long weekend at home :)

What actually sounds relaxing, unwinding and restorative was just the opposite.

On Thursday, it was my brother's birthday meaning that the whole family was united and got on my nerves. Luckily, I arrived from Graz at four o'clock so I didn't have to be with them too long. On Friday, he had a birthday party with all his pubescent friends, which, for me, wasn't very enjoyable either since I had to wash the dishes, make sure that they have enough to drink and try to prevent them from doing something stupid (believe me, these boys know how to be a pain in the neck... The boy on the picture is my brother, and although he looks cute, he really IS NOT).
But I got the chance to eat lots and lots of my favourite cake which happens to be my brother's favourite cake as well, so there was a positive thing as well...

On Saturday, of course, I went to see the KAC's game. Another bad day for my nerves since we lost... There I also met my former football coach who is from Scotland and had a little chat with him. I also had the chance to talk to a friend of my fathers who is from Great Britain and now lives in Austria.
So you see, football is no waste of time: I can practice my English there :)
And considering the nationality of most of our players, I could also practice my Croatian, but somehow I prefer speaking to them in German and let them struggle with the language ;) Lazy, lazy Birgit...

On Monday I met the coaches of the team from Bolton who will arrive on Pentecost. Together we planned what to do with the boys when they won't be on the soccerpitch. Along with them, there was a guy from Liverpool, and believe me: I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying. This accent is terrible! So instead of me translating, it was me who needed a translator. But after some translating I realised that it was better for me not to understand the Liverpudlian, since his ideas were really strange and his expectations couldn't have been met anyway.

So you see, speaking didn't get a raw deal.

Of course, I also continued reading Under the Tusan Sun, and I'm not sure whether I like it or not. I hate her pagelong descriptions of how she cleans walls and frees them from ivy... But still, I catch myself drifting apart into daydreams of a beautiful house in the heart of Italy... Somehow this book catches me...
And one thing is definitely true: I like it much, much, much, much, much, much better than JWI. But I guess I would like any book better...

No comments: