Saturday, May 5, 2007

Two approaches to illegal immigration

Saturday, rain, nothing on the TV, so why not use the time and do some reading? I started with Under the Tuscan Sun, and I like it better with every page. What I like most is the fact that I don't have to have a dictionary next to me all the time, which happened to be the case when reading JWI. BUT: I fell asleep... Frances Mayes' talking about the Italian siesta led to my personal siesta...

So when I woke up, face on the book, book and face crinkled, I decided to try something else. Next stop: Here on Earth. I listened to a radio show about language and class which was really interesting, and at first, I wanted to write about it in my blog. But since there are a lot of dialects to listen to, it wouldn't have made sense, so just listen to it yourself. But I have to warn you, you might get jealous. One of Jean Feraca's guest is able to speak 26 ( in words: twenty-six) languages fluently!!!!!!

The second program I listened to was called "Why the world loves soccer and we don't". But to my disappointment, Jean Feraca wasn't able to solve this mistery...

So I decided to turn to reading again, I read a few articles, and I want to tell you about one I found quite interesting. A Newsweek article titled


Two approaches to illegal immigration


In the article, 2 communties and two ways of facing the influx of illegal immigrants.

In suburban New York, everything is done to get rid of them. Suffolk County Police have orders to bear down on illegal workers by targeting their employers with traffic fines (no, this is NOT a joke). A Suffolk County Executive is of the opinion that all labor laws have to be enforced, but since this is not enough (in his eyes), new laws will be introduced as well. One of these new laws will require employers with county business to prove all workers are legal. Workers who are there illegaly will be arrested immediately, and federal officers will be stationed there to deport arrested illegal aliens.

New Haven, Connecticut, does just the opposite. The City Hall sponsors tax filing centers where no questions are asked concerning who is there legally. Many say that New Haven is becoming a so called sanctuary city because it wants to help undocumented residents get city services or bank accounts by introducing a municipal ID card. The mayor of the city says that it is important to engage everyone who lives in the community positively, that "New Haven's goal is to be a safe, civil place where people are able to fulfill their ambitions".


I don't want to comment on this since this is a very diverse topic and this issue is definitely a hard one for politics all over the world.

1 comment:

TINA PUKSIC said...

This looks like an interesting topic. It is just awful, isn't it? I met a nice family in the south of the U.S. three years ago. They were Mexican and illegal. Every singer member of the family worked - including children. They had to survive somehow. So, although there are way too many illegal immigrants in America, i symphatize with them on many levels. But on the other hand, I also understand some of the government'S policies, which try to prevent illegal immigrants moving to the country. It is estimated that around 12 million illegal immigrants live and work in the States - and I am sure that they are cheap labor. That is bad for all. But you are right...it is hard to resolve a problem like that. Especially in America where it already went overboard...