Friday, June 1, 2007

Expat Interview with Thomas


Finally, here it is: My interview with Thomas who left the UK for Germany.

When did you go to Germany, and why?


I came to Germany in September 2000, having been offered work by a company after graduating university.

What do you like about living in Germany, and what was easier or better in your home country?

The central location in Europe makes travelling easy, for work (e.g. Turin = 1 hr flight) and private (London = 1 hr flight, Alicante = 2 hr flight, snowboarding in France = 7 hours drive), weather – in this region – is relatively mild, the city where I live is clean and respectable, I don’t feel insecure when I am out or travelling, and some of the autobahns have no speed limit!!!

If you had to compare Germany and Great Britain: What would you say is similar in both countries and what is different?

Both countries have strong markets, but in the UK I feel I have more shopping choice and better customer service – especially face to face… People in both countries are generally respectful and responsible, but I find in Germany some people take this too the extreme of almost believing they are police officers… Both countries have a fairly welcoming approach to foreigners, though making friends seems to take a long time here in German. I find the UK has a quicker updating and more extensive choice of entertainment – food, music, film, festival etc.
Germany has maybe a greater number of local and traditional festivals which provide a look into local culture and history……….both countries have product culture and strong brand awareness, but only in Germany can you can buy a fast car and drive it (legally) fast too !! ……. Bank branches open on Saturdays and most shops on Sundays in the UK.
There is also a big difference between single life (like mine) and say becoming part of the bigger system by having a family here which means even more to learn and do – single life is generally easier anywhere.

Also don’t forget the UK has always been an island, and Germany always a mainland state so this also has a large influence on historic and cultural and behavioural patterns


What about learning the local language? Do you think it is important to learn it, and do you need it in your workplace? HOW did you learn German?

I already speak English and Spanish and have an interest in languages so for me it’s important to make an effort to learn a local language. Personally I do not need so much at the workplace as I work for a Japanese company…but I have some German work colleagues…….My first German words I learnt from my first girlfriend here (she was a little lazy in using her English to help me understand, so I had to try and make the effort to understand more of her), the rest has built up over almost 7 years from reading and listening and copying and trying and pestering colleagues!! But being bilingual from the start makes a big difference to the ease of learning another language, if anything because you realise quicker the links that exist between European languages.


Were there any difficulties you had to face when you moved to Germany? (insurance, bank account, work permit etc.)
ns
There was no need for a work permit – already an EU citizen, residence was easy to apply for as was a bank account, but sorting out private healthcare, insurance for car etc and finding a place to live all required help because I spoke no German at all when I arrived here


If you had to choose again: Would you go to Germany again?

I am reasonably happy living here In Germany, so probably I would choose again –though it must be said my main reason for coming here was due the job being here, and not going specifically to Germany to look for work

Are you homesick sometimes? Do you miss anything particular?

Yes I can get a little homesick– I get frustrated not understanding the people or the language here at times, I have some good friends I miss, I miss the wider choice of events, and the shopping in general (especially opening hours), and many things are simply easier to understand because I know it from my own background or I have family or contacts I can ask or who can help me directly.


And finally: What advice would you give other expats that are planning to move to Germany?

Advice? Learn the language, try to fit into part of the local life at least, make friends outside your natural habitat (i.e. make sure that your friends are not just your work colleagues), and try to understand the people and country a little to see why they are not a carbon copy of your last life

No comments: